During the 1940's, Joe Fulks won 10 TBCB player of the game awards. Fulks also earned All-BAA first team honors each year from 1947-1949; All-NBA honors for the 1950-51 season; and was selected to the first two NBA All Star teams (1951 and 1952). In addition, he led the BAA in scoring for the 1946-47 season and finished second the following two seasons. The 10 games in which Fulks earned TBCB player of the game awards are noted below.
- 11/13/47, Philadelphia Warriors 79, Providence Steam Rollers 64; Fulks 23 points.
- 11/14/47, Philadelphia Warriors 79, Boston Celtics 74; Fulks 26 points.
- 11/15/47, Philadelphia Warriors 80, Providence Steam Rollers 78; Fulks 23 points.
- 3/2/48, Philadelphia Warriors 76, New York Knicks 66; Fulks 31 points.
- 3/4/48, Philadelphia Warriors 82, Boston Celtics 62; Fulks 18 points.
- 12/17/48, Philadelphia Warriors 87, New York Knicks 78; Fulks 27 points.
- 12/18/48, Philadelphia Warriors 94, Providence Steam Rollers 90; Fulks 47 points.
- 12/21/48, Philadelphia Warriors 72, Minneapolis Lakers 64; Fulks 19 points.
- 12/25/48, Philadelphia Warriors 80, Boston Celtics 77; Fulks 30 points.
- 12/30/48, Philadelphia Warriors 94, Indianapolis Jets 91; Fulks 32 points.
We'll announce number three on our list on Tuesday, July 3. As a reminder, our top 10 list represents the players who won the greatest number of Champs Belt player of the game awards between when the belt was first awarded to the 1946-47 BAA Champion Philadelphia Warriors and the conclusion of the 1949-50 NBA season. The top five players of the 1940's enter the Champs Belt Hall of Fame, where they will be joined by a sixth player selected by TBCB's Commissioner. For more on Hall of Fame eligibility and rules, click here. Suggestions for the sixth Hall of Fame suggestion can be sent to the Commissioner at email@example.com or via Twitter (@champsbelt).
Sources: Wikipedia, Basketball-Reference.com, author's analysis, author's collection (scanned card), previous Champs Belt posts.